Sunday, March 7, 2010

February 28th

I want to first start out by saying that my computer crashed right in the middle of my homework. This of course was frustrating and made me realize how a computer can not be completely depended on as a reliable source for communicating. I also began thinking about how we are always talking about "and it's free" but the reality is that these wonderful tools such as computer, iphones, ipad, etc. cost alot and so do the applications. It reminds of my of the old saying...nothing in life is free. We will always be spending money on education - whether that be on books or computers. Anyway...you can see that I am frustrated right now so forgive the rant.

Moving on to the assignment...

This video was about presenting information via media. I was surprised that this man Mr. Miller is an English professor who teaches students the value of reading and writing. However, he is proposing this new why of teaching via technology. I need to recognize and appreciate that even this man who has made his life profession in books sees that times they are a changing. If we won't to be "relevant" we must change they way we think.

I have a "dream" if you will of being a teacher with a master's in library science. Naturally my ears perked up when he said he did an entire project without ever stepping foot in a library. What will this mean to my "dream". I LOVE the library. I just told my husband that I feel the same about a library that a kid feels about a candy store. I worry about it's future. I sound like an old broken record I know but I love books and I love that my kids love books. I so don't want them sitting in front of a computer reading a "book".

I did agree on what Mr. Miller had to say about educators should be in the business of sharing ideas with one another freely. That is what I am starting to really appreciate about technology. You can go online and find ideas from other more seasoned teachers. I also liked his comment that "ideas belong to us as a culture". If you have a great idea, share it.

Moving on to the project by Ms. Drexler's senior class.

Again, naturally my ears perked up with "Why a teacher?" as that is what I am going to school to do. I really appreciated with they came up with...modeler, organizer, one who gets the students excited about learning. Those are all great things. I am still not sure about the students learning via the web and the teacher just aiding them along. I see that the web can be a great tool but never replace the teaching that should go on in a classroom. Note I said in a classroom as I am a firm believer it is important for students to come to a place that is designated for learning.

Lasting I viewed the speech by Michael Wesch. I really enjoyed his sense of humor and I felt like I could easily take one of his classes. I am sure he makes it a fun learning experience. I liked the quote by Marshall McLuhan, "We shape our tools and our tools shape us". This is a little scary...we create the tool, then become dependent on the thing we created. I was impacted by the quote that we have become "amused to indifference". We see things on TV or Youtube but what do we plan to do to change what we see. Are we making a difference or just being entertained.

I enjoyed the timeline of Whatever. I can hear my daughter thinking (she is only three so she can't articulate it yet) "Whatever, I'll do what I want". I see that children are so all about me and I worry about their future when they realize that this world is not all about them.

Mr. Wesch and his students started a study on YouTube as a community that would change the way people are all about me. I was not convinced that YouTube is a community that negates the all about me. I feel that it feeds into the whole look at me - it's all about me. He said that he felt it gave people the ability to experience the freedom to be themselves without social anxiety. I think it is the opposite. You put yourself out their for the world to judge and the world can have less than kind things to say as he points out. How could that be a way to break out of your shell so to speak. I think it is a way for the person to hide behind a screen for fear of rejection and it is not healthy. I recognize that people need an outlet and maybe that is what YouTube is for some. I just don't see it as an entirely positive community.

Overall, I like that he points to both sides of the media as entertainment arguement. He looks at what has happened and wants to see the media as WE SHAPE IT work for good. I can appreciate that!

I will leave this week with a video that I saw in my LIBRARY this week. It really made me look at myself and say "Paula - are you being a ZAX with regard to technology?" I don't want to be a Zax but change is not always easy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paula! I am glad to read that some of the videos you are watching in this class are starting to transform your way of thinking about technology! I love the video you shared about the Zax and I am glad that you don't want to be one of them. I know that technology and change isn't always "easy" but neither are many things in life, but they are extremely rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda read your post before I did and sent me an email suggesting I might find the Zax video useful. Actually, I find your entire post thought provoking and useful. You will encounter my thoughts on some of the questions you raise when you do the blog assignment for April 11.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete